Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Occupy This

Sometimes desperation makes me really want to avoid/apply to grad school. Is this the inevitable next step in the whole go-to-high-school-to-get-into-college-to-graduate-with-a-meaningful-yet-useless-degree-that-has-you-intelligently-questioning-the-entire-fabric-of-society-and-existence-until-your-student-loans-and-unemployment-force-you-back-into-the-next-steps-of-grad-school/career/mortgage/kids-that-you-so-cleverly-thought-you-could-avoid-by-learning-about-sustainability/farming/bartering/building/(r)evolution? I feel like a victim of naysayers'

self-fulfilling prophecies.

Do you remember 8am Sociology 101? We were new friends then. You would come to my dorm two doors from yours and literally pull me to class. You walked sure-footedly and I'm still dragging my feet. We read and wept. One of the first things we learned was that we were in college due to society's expectations yet would graduate into a sea of college graduates and not enough qualified jobs. The numbers are black and white. Figures they'd wait until we already bought our textbooks and tuition to tell.

Then, there was Honors class where we analyzed Misfits and Outsiders, mainly to learn that most people worth studying lived miserably outcast lives. Sometimes to console myself, I cite that even Mozart's father wanted him to get a day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment